haddock library?

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Fri Jan 14 00:15:00 EST 2005

I was thinking it would be useful if parts of haddock could be made into
a library. mainly the parsing bits of it. There are a lot of useful
little documentation aware utilities that can be written, and the
haddock command itself can be simplified.

There are several haskell documentation tools out there and it would be
advantagous if they could use the same in-code syntax but just have
different back ends.

other things someone might want to do with the haddock parser, but fall
outside the haddock tools scope:

- A version which knows how to get type signatures from ghc even if they
are not in the source.
- A command line utility which searches an optimized index built from the
haskell modules and their haddock annotations.
- Various other web presentations of the data. there is a lot of room for
experimentation.
- A graphical browser which generates graphs of code dependence and lets
you look at the documentation for any function.
- integration with a haskell debugger.

I was thinking it could go into the Text hierarchy somewhere.

        John

--
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈