--prefix and --copy-prefix in Cabal

Isaac Jones ijones at syntaxpolice.org
Tue Jan 25 00:20:07 EST 2005

Hmm... forgot to send this to the list:

Krasimir Angelov <kr.angelov at gmail.com> writes:

>    Hello, Guys
>
> There are two options for prefixes: --prefix and --copy-prefix. In my
> opinion they have the same meaning and I wonder whether we need to
> have two different options for configure and copy commands. Any
> thoughts?

Do you mean whether they should be called the same thing, or whether
both commands should have a prefix flag?  If it's the former, I don't
care overly much, but they do have different behaviors, so I wanted to
call them something different so the user didn't think that they could
get away with using the copy-prefix flag later on as a drop-in
replacement for the prefix flag.

In particular, the prefix from configure might get baked into the
executables or manpages somehow, whereas the copy-prefix just tells it
where to copy stuff.

peace,

  isaac