Time Library Organisation

Ashley Yakeley ashley at semantic.org
Wed Jan 26 05:45:16 EST 2005

In article <41F75D46.90704 at imperial.ac.uk>,
 Keean Schupke <k.schupke at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:

> So my vote goes for the unixy way of doing it, with a simple getTime
> function that returns milliseconds after the epoch,

Unfortunately "the unixy way of doing it" and "a simple getTime function
that returns milliseconds after the epoch" are not the same thing at
all. Read the section "Unix system time and the POSIX standard" on this
page:

<http://www.ucolick.org/~sla/leapsecs/onlinebib.html>

Wikipedia also explains it. "[Unix time] is sufficiently similar to a
linear representation of the passage of time that it is frequently
mistaken for one":

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_time>

But you should probably read my earlier message first if you haven't
already:

<http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/libraries/2005-January/002908.html>

--
Ashley Yakeley, Seattle WA