Time

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk qrczak at knm.org.pl
Wed Jan 26 15:49:42 EST 2005

Keean Schupke <k.schupke at imperial.ac.uk> writes:

>>How would you implement it, given that gettimeofday() and other Unix
>>calls which return the current time either gradually slow down near a
>>leap second (if NTP is used to synchronize clocks) or the clock is not
>>adjusted at all, and at the next time it is set it will just be on
>>average one second later (if it is being set manually)?
>
> The computers timer should not attempt to adjust for leap seconds...

But it does.

Eventually, or sometimes immediately (I don't know how fast NTP
clients react, or whether they are programmed for faster adjustment
around a leap second).

All syscalls give us an approximation of UTC or a time derived from UTC.

--
   __("<         Marcin Kowalczyk
   \__/       qrczak at knm.org.pl
    ^^     http://qrnik.knm.org.pl/~qrczak/