Time Library 0.1

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Thu Jul 7 05:54:12 EDT 2005

On 07 July 2005 09:59, Ashley Yakeley wrote:

> In article

<3429668D0E777A499EE74A7952C382D103F41FAB at EUR-MSG-01.europe.corp.microso
> ft.com>,
>  "Simon Marlow" <simonmar at microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> The question is, what's the result of encodeUTC for an invalid
>> CalendarTime.  Does it roll over the out-of-range fields?  What
>> happens if you ask for Feb 29 in a non-leap year, for example?
>
> Right now it's undefined. What should it do?

I'd say either it should be an error, or the date should be normalised
to a valid date by carrying over any out-of-range values.  We should
have normalisation anyway, so that might be the easiest behaviour to
provide.

BTW, I think the library is great.  As I said before, I'm a little
concerned about how easy it is to do calendar calculations, but given
the examples you posted earlier my worries might be unfounded.  I think
it would be great to collect these examples and put them in the
documentation for System.Time.Calendar.

Cheers,
	Simon