System.FilePath module

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Fri Jul 8 10:51:34 EDT 2005

Isaac Jones writes:

 > For those who objected at the time, can someone put
 > together a list of requirements for the FilePath module
 > you believe we need?

As one of those who objected back then, let me say that I've
arrived at the conclusion that the module is fine the way it
is for now. I would like an abstract data type plus a set of
operations to manipulate paths better, but my motivation is
that I'd like to have a module for expressing and handling
namespaces in general -- not just filesystem paths. That's a
more difficult problem, though, so the lack of a solution
for that shouldn't hinder a solution for manipulating file
system paths to be implemented.

Peter