external core

Josef Svenningsson josef.svenningsson at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 07:46:41 EDT 2005

Hi,

As Simon mentioned I am now responsible for external core. I have been
quite silent about it though since I took responsibility so I'll take
the opportunity to explain my plan and why it hasn't quite been
realised yet.

The plan was, just as John suggest, to produce a library with various
external core functionality. GHC would then import this package to
parse and produce external core. That way we would have a single
source of all external core code that programmers could easily use. I
started working on this but it slid down my priority list. The reason
was that I got almost no replies when I asked for interest in external
core on the ghc-users list.
The plan was however to have an initial version of the library done in
the beginning of June. The reasons that this hasn't been realised are
various and has also resulted in that I am currently on sick-leave and
rather incapacitated. I cannot promise any progress at the moment. But
I'd be happy to discuss the library and accept code from anyone who is
willing to work on it.

John, could you elaborate on suggestion of having a "pass-through core
processor that interacts with ghc". I'm not quite sure I understand
what you're after. But it sounds interesting :-)

All the best,

/Josef