[Haskell-cafe] CGI module almost useless

Bjorn Bringert bringert at cs.chalmers.se
Sat Jun 18 03:43:59 EDT 2005

Lemmih wrote:
> On 6/15/05, Bjorn Bringert <bringert at cs.chalmers.se> wrote:
>
>>Graham Klyne wrote:

>>>I am coming partway into this issue, and may be missing some prior art
>>>(or something).
>>>
>>>I think a an easy-to-use CGI module would be cool.  Your sample code
>>>suggests a nice easy-to-use interface.  Even cooler would be if it
>>>comes with support to hook into Apache's FastCGI module, or similar
>>>optimized invocation from Apache.  That might inspire me to do some more
>>>work on my nascent SPARQL (RDF query) implementation.
>>
>>Graham, thanks for the suggestion. I went and had a look at FastCGI, and
>>wrote an FFI binding to the fcgiapp C library. You can now use CGI
>>programs with either CGI or FastCGI, using the same interface.
>>
>>My CGI module is in a darcs repo at:
>>http://www.cs.chalmers.se/~bringert/darcs/haskell-cgi/
>>
>>The FastCGI module is at:
>>http://www.cs.chalmers.se/~bringert/darcs/haskell-fastcgi/
>

> I'm having problems building FastCGI. It uses 'runCGIEnv' which isn't
> exported from Network.NewCGI.

Damn. Sorry. I forgot to push the NewCGI changes needed by FastCGI.
Fixed now.

There is a problem with FastCGI where Apache gets a broken pipe now and
then. I haven't figured it out yet. Network.FastCGI currently also logs
a lot of stuff to error_log. So it's not really ready for any use other
than experimentation yet.

/Björn