Haskell Matrix Library...

Ketil Malde ketil+haskell at ii.uib.no
Mon Jun 27 02:58:29 EDT 2005

Benjamin Franksen <benjamin.franksen at bessy.de> writes:

>> Certainly not "of course", because e.g. 'exp' and 'sin' are "of
>> course" applied element-wise in the library proposal.

> I wasn't refering to the library proposal. And element-wise definitions
> of 'exp' and 'sin' for matrices may be natural in certain contexts, but
> certainly not as /the/ general definition.

Perhaps I haven't followed this discussion closely enough, but I'm not
sure this kind of element-wise functions should be provided at all.
Isn't a Functor¹ instance (and the consequent "fmap sin") so much
clearer that it is worth the extra typing?

-k

¹ Or something similar, if you really must preserve the matrix' type.