The FunctorM library

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Thu Mar 24 04:57:11 EST 2005

On 23 March 2005 15:51, Ross Paterson wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 09:49:43AM -0000, Simon Marlow wrote:
>> Does anyone else have any comments on the suggestions from Iavor and
>> Thomas in this thread?  I'm happy to make changes, but only if
>> there's a concensus.  The proposals so far seems to be
>>
>>   1) add dist method
>>   2a) make Functor a superclass of FunctorM
>>   2b) make Functor a *sub*class of FunctorM
>>   2c) make Functor a subclass of Monad
>>   2d) make Functor a superclass of Monad
>>   3) rename FunctorM class to ForEach
>>   4) rename FunctorM module to Control.Monad.FunctorM(?)
>>
>> (1) is easy and not controversial (but is 'dist' the best name?).
>
> fsequence:sequence = fmapM:mapM = fmap:map ?
>
> As long as we remember that it's not always a distributive law (join
> law fails, e.g. for []), and fmapM doesn't always define a functor
> (doesn't preserve composition of Kleisli arrows).
>
> 2a) is needed to provide the default definition
>
> 	fmapM f = fsequence . fmap f

The options are now boiled down a bit:

   1)  FunctorM remains as it is, and we add
          fsequence :: (Monad m, FunctorM f) => f (m a) -> m (f a)
       (John Meacham's suggestion)

   2)  class Functor f => FunctorM f where
          fsequence :: Monad m => f (m a) -> m (f a)
          fmapM     :: Monad m => (a -> m a) -> f a -> m (f a)
          fsequence = fmapM id
          fmapM f   = fsequence . fmap f

the difference is quite small, mainly an efficiency tradeoff, but also
if defining fsequence is easier than fmapM you might prefer (2).

> The placement in the hierarchy is a bit wierd.  Another possibility
> (that you suggested earlier) is Data.Functor.

Data.Functor would export both Functor and FunctorM?

Cheers,
	Simon