producing nice tarballs

Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Wed May 11 19:24:30 EDT 2005

Hi,
I pretty much agree with what you said, and I am eager for a Cabal
with a working sdist (and support to build a profiling version of the
package).  I think some of these things are fixed, or at least were
discussed, but I am not sure how to update the Cabal I have (this is
the one that was installed with GHC).
Just one comment about the naming convention:

On 5/11/05, Duncan Coutts <duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> So if you've got a cabal package with fields:
>
> name:           FooBar
> version:        1.2.3
>
> Then the tarball should be "FooBar-1.2.3.tar.gz" (or .zip or .tar.bz2).

Many packages could be distributed in more than one flavour, e.g.
source, GHC 6.4 binaries, GHC-6.2 binaries etc.  There could also be
versions for different platforms.
I like the convention FooBar-1.2.3-src.tar.gz for packages that
contain source code, but I am not sure how should one name other
packages....   I would expect that all of those would extract to a
directoy like you suggested: FooBar-1.2.3.  Unless of course I
misunderstood your post and you were just referring to distributing
source code?
-Iavor