Darcs supports pre-checkin hooks was Re: Controlled anarchy

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Mon Oct 24 04:58:31 EDT 2005

On 23 October 2005 13:10, Sven Panne wrote:

> I see a dire need for more Haskell *maintainers*, not for more
> developers or brand new shiny version control systems. With
> "maintainers" I mean people accepting/testing/merging patches,
> discussing with people about APIs, kicking coders to write tests for
> their code, collecting opinions and writing down API proposals,
> keeping existing APIs stable/sane/usable, etc. This is a lot of work,
> it's difficult, time-consuming and much less fun than coding, but we
> need those people. Darcs won't help with this at all...

Here here...

However, my impression is that moving to darcs is not purely an attempt
at a technical solution to a social problem.  Many of the people we want
to attract as maintainers are the kind of people who appreciate good
tools, an enjoy working with them.  Adopting a better VC system would
increase the Fun Factor for working with our code, which in turn will
encourage more people to contribute.

Maintaining libraries is quite boring.  We need to make it more
enjoyable.

Cheers,
	Simon