Darcs supports pre-checkin hooks was Re: Controlled anarchy

Ketil Malde ketil+haskell at ii.uib.no
Mon Oct 24 04:58:36 EDT 2005

Sven Panne <Sven.Panne at aedion.de> writes:

> Our main problem here is not technical, it is simply a lack of a decent test
> suite for all the library packages in the repository. And I totally agree
> with Jacques here: As long as we don't have this test suite, I'll furiously
> object to 'allow everyone to just commit'.

I agree, and there should certainly be people in charge, maintaining a
certain quality control (Linux has a good model there, I think.)

> Don't get me wrong: I think that darcs is a great tool and did a lot to
> improve Haskell's visibility and acceptance, but it is not a solution for the
> problems we have.

Darcs *does* make it easier to submit small patches, however.  If I
have a darcs repo, I can type "darcs send" to propagate fixes in the
right direction.  With CVS I would have to find the person in charge,
generate diffs in the proper format, and mail them.  That's not too
difficult, of course, but at least for me, darcs lowers the threshold
for participation.

-k