Darcs supports pre-checkin hooks was Re: Controlled anarchy

Tomasz Zielonka tomasz.zielonka at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 08:26:52 EDT 2005

On 10/24/05, Ketil Malde <ketil+haskell at ii.uib.no> wrote:
> Darcs *does* make it easier to submit small patches, however.  If I
> have a darcs repo, I can type "darcs send" to propagate fixes in the
> right direction.  With CVS I would have to find the person in charge,
> generate diffs in the proper format, and mail them.  That's not too
> difficult, of course, but at least for me, darcs lowers the threshold
> for participation.

Another point is that with darcs it's easy to manage your own branch
of the repo and still be up-to-date with main development. For example,
you can make your own changes to the compiler/libraries without disturbing
the GHC team at all, and still have your changes properly versioned.
Later, if they think your changes are valuable, they can easily (modulo
conflicts) take the patches from you.

Best regards
Tomasz