Data.ByteString candidate 3

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Tue Apr 25 08:13:35 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-25 at 13:08 +0100, Simon Marlow wrote:
> Donald Bruce Stewart wrote:
>
> > The code has been partioned into:
> >     Data.ByteString         a Word8 only layer. All functions are in terms of Word8
> >     Data.ByteString.Char    provides an ascii/byte-Char layer over the Word8 layer.
>
> Ok, but where would we put a UTF8 version of the Char layer?  I'm
> thinking that "Latin1" would be more correct than "Char", and leaves
> room for adding UTF8 and other encodings later.

As others have pointed out, it's not strictly Latin1. Don and I reckon
it's probably safe to say that the current Data.ByteString.Char layer is
ok for any 8-bit fixed-width encoding with ASCII as a subset, so that
means it's probably ok for many of the Latin* encodings.

How would we distinguish a full fixed0width 4-byte Unicode version? A
purist mgiht say that this should be Data.ByteString.Char since a Char
really is a 4-byte Unicode value and then change the current
Data.ByteString.Char to be Data.ByteString.Char8 or something like that.

Duncan