cabal (./Setup.hs) options

Conrad Parker conrad at metadecks.org
Tue Aug 8 03:07:23 EDT 2006

Hi,

I like Cabal. There are a few things that I'm used to from autotools which
I can't seem to find: dry-runs, uninstall and a "make distcheck" equivalent.

Here's my wishlist (ie. stuff I wish someone, possibly me, would hack on ;-)
Are the following planned, possible, far-fetched?

./Setup.hs
  -n, --dry-run
    For any command, does not actually do anything (build, install, modify
    the filesystem), but prints the steps that would be executed (ghc
    commandlines, install locations etc.)

  uninstall
    Removes all files and directories created by install

  sdist-test
    1. runs sdist
    2. unpacks the resulting tarball
    3. runs configure --prefix=_inst
            build
            install (into given _inst)
            test
            uninstall
    4. Checks that no files remain in _inst
    5. Cleans up the source tmpdir
    6. If all the above succeed, prints a message saying the tarball is
       ready for distribution

cheers,

Conrad.