System.Posix.Signals

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 08:21:02 EDT 2006

Neil Mitchell wrote:

> Why is System.Posix.Signals defined in base on Windows, but entirely
> blank, while System.Posix.Process is defined in Unix?
>
> If this is a dependancy issue, then shouldn't
> System.Posix.Internals.Signals be in the base, and then unix export
> System.Posix.Signals, which is just a reexport of this?
>
> This issue is annoying because I'm trying to at least write null stubs
> for the functions so I can compile a program requiring unix on
> Windows. It doesn't help that Windows ships a version of Signals with
> an entirely different interface...

Good point.  I think this is mostly historical, System.Posix.Signals is required
to bootstrap GHC, which is why it was originally in base (I think at one stage
we bootstrapped using only base+haskell98).  It's too late to sort this out for
GHC 6.6, but we'll do something about it after the release. (feel free to submit
a patch if you get to it before us).

Cheers,
	Simon