[Haskell] System.FilePath survey

Johannes Waldmann waldmann at imn.htwk-leipzig.de
Fri Feb 3 07:30:42 EST 2006

Krasimir Angelov wrote:

>> Irrelevant for performance, I think. If I want to do heavy IO, then I'd
>> open a file (once) to get a handle, and use only the handle afterwards.
>
> I mean that it is going to be boring.

what? boring to write the conversions? I imagine the only two occasions
where a file path has to be converted from String to ADT:
when you read some fixed file (e. g. config file)
( that amounts to one line line  conf :: File = mkFile ".conf" )
or when the user input a file name on command line or textfield.
This would be only a few lines, no matter how large the program.
(If you read user input from GUI, then you'd probably have some File
selector widget that should of course return an ADT object.)

Best regards,
--
-- Johannes Waldmann -- Tel/Fax (0341) 3076 6479/80 --
---- http://www.imn.htwk-leipzig.de/~waldmann/ -------