[Haskell] System.FilePath survey

Ben Rudiak-Gould Benjamin.Rudiak-Gould at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Feb 8 16:21:09 EST 2006

Einar Karttunen wrote:
> Just define:
>
> getArgsAdt :: IO [ADT]
> getArgsAdt = ...
>
> getArgs    :: IO [String]
> getArgs = fmap ADT.toString getArgsAdt

My only problem with this is that I'm afraid people will then write code like

     main = do
       [x] <- getArgs
       y <- readFile x   -- assuming readFile :: Path a => a -> IO String

which will fail on filenames whose encoding doesn't match the locale. A
naively-written C program will have no trouble with such files, and I think
a naively-written Haskell program should be at least as robust. I'm not sure
a pathname ADT is the best approach here (maybe the '\0' hack would be
better) but if an ADT is used I'd like the right thing to be easier than the
wrong thing.

-- Ben