RFC: Collection Framework, reprise.

Jean-Philippe Bernardy jeanphilippe.bernardy at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 05:33:27 EST 2006

Hello,

I'm glad you see so many good point in my design.

I must say however that the operator names are (c) Ross Paterson :)

On 2/21/06, Robert Dockins <robdockins at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> Well, I have to begin with the caveat that I am not a data structures
> expert, and that the design of Edison is almost entirely due to Chris
> Okasaki.  That said, I can certainly share my opinion.  In no
> particular order:
> -- Your use of two type parameters to model read-only or unobservable
> collections is very interesting.  I wonder, though, how useful it
> actually is.  I facilitates some interesting possibilities with
> views, but I can't think of any compelling use cases.  I sort of
> dislike the fact that it can turn certain of the class methods
> "useless", but maybe the idea just hasn't grown on me yet.

The truth is, I hope this will become nicer when (if) we move to
associated types.
I need to play a bit more with Phrac to have a clearer idea though.

> -- I like the idea of views generally, and I'm now trying to think if
> there is a good way to work something like them into Edison.
> -- The 'isSingleton' method seems unnecessary.  Are singleton
> collections interesting enough to supply a special test for them?

This is based on Christan Maeder idea. We are planning to move to AVL
trees for A. Hey, which do not provide a O(1) size function. A
singleton test thus becomes valuable, and since costs next to nothing
to add to the class I decided to to it.

> -- Your 'lookup' method has a Monad context, which I assume is the
> 'NotJustMaybe' pattern, but 'front' and 'back' return Maybe.  You
> should probably pick one style and stick to it.

True.

> -- Qualified infix functions look horrible.  I know you say this
> module should be imported unqualified, but with Prelude clashes
> people qualify it  anyway.  I'd suggest you stick to regular prefix
> functions for your class methods and define the infix functions as
> the appropriate aliases.  That way people importing qualified can
> still use something reasonable looking.
> -- In a related thread I've been discussing argument orders.  I think
> I've just about come to the decision that all the Edison API
> functions will take the collection argument last, including the
> troublesome 'rcons'.  If you take my suggestion to remove infix
> symbols from your classes, I suggest you also make your right cons
> and index functions take the collection argument last.  However, I'd
> probably leave the symbols as is, so that, e.g.,  (|>) = (flip rcons).

If i understand this correctly, you suggest that regular functions
should have a prefix meaning, whereas operators should have infix
meaning (also in the light of your answer to Ross).

I remember some peope spoke against this when we tuned Data.Map (&
friends) API some years ago. I guess the reason is that some functions
cannot be assigned a clear enough operator (isSubsetOf, etc.)

> -- In fact, I like your right and left insert symbols so much, I may
> adopt them myself.
> -- You claim that 'union' takes an unspecified element in the case of
> duplicates, but you also claim it is commutative.  You need to
> specify in what sense you claim commutativity; your collection class
> doesn't require an Eq or Ord instance, and the claim seems very
> suspect if you mean up to identity.  Similar with intersection.

This has been written in a hurry, and I didn't mean anything very formal.
We have re-hashed implied meanings of Eq and Ord quite a few times
however, and the general idea is that we require Eq to mean equality,
and similarly for Ord, otherwise all bets are off.

This is better stated in a general comment rather than on the
definition on union though.

> -- Does 'adjust' affect all elements with the given key, or just a
> single unspecified one?

The class has the (implicit) assumption that a key cannot exist twice.
The semantic could be generalized however.

> -- 'Indexed' doesn't have any notion of bounds.  That seems like a
> pretty necessary concept.  Humm, I see now that MapLike is a subclass
> of Indexed.  Perhaps then you should have 'DenseIndexed' or
> 'ArrayLike' which has bounds related methods together with the
> "denseness" property.

It seems like the class you suggest to add would become a replacement
for the Array class.

> Overall, I'd say the methods you have carved out seem to be the ones
> that are most-used, with the notable exception of 'head' and 'tail'
> for sequences.

Rather, I intend to start with those. It seems easier to add than to remove.

>  If you are attempting to go for a fairly minimal set
> of operations (that's more or less what I read your design goals as
> saying), then the only method I'd consider adding is a strict fold.
> People get irritated if they can't, e.g., sum the elements in a
> collection without building a gajillion unnecessary closures.

Every day I pray for a genius to come with the generic solution to
eliminate unnecessary lazyness :)

Thanks again for the helpful comments.
JP.