Packages and modules

Ketil Malde ketil+haskell at ii.uib.no
Fri Jul 7 07:14:15 EDT 2006

Malcolm Wallace <Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk> writes:

>>   {-# OPTIONS -package foo #-} -- or replace with myfoo
>>   module F where
>>   import Foo

> No, I think you missed the point.  Let's say there are 30 files that
> import modules from the package "foo".  At the moment, and with the
> current proposal, when you decide to replace "foo" with "myfoo", you
> must edit all 30 files to change the OPTIONS line (or the "import from"
> specs).

This is a red herring, you could use a proxy module with either
option (and in the example you quote, I meant to re-export Foo of
course.  Sorry.)  Or, you could use a global command line instead of
local pragmas/import modifiers.

As I understand your proposal at

   http://cvs.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/GhcPackageNamespaces

, the main contribution from namespaces is to introduce an
intermediate level between packages and modules.  (Which of course is
useful when the packages encompass a lot of functionality.)

-k