FPS again

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Sat Jul 15 11:16:27 EDT 2006

Hello Donald,

can you test that this implementation
  lines = split 0x0a
is as fast as existing (long) ones both for Lazy and Strict ByteString?

also, is not it faster to use the following implementation:
  isSpaceWord8 = (spacesFlagsArray!)
?

also, i propose to move getLine/getContents/putStr/interact/readFile-type
functions into .Char8 modules (both for strict and lazy bytestrings),
because these functions are encoding-dependent and work with texts
(as opposite to hGet/hPut which works with raw binary data blocks).
in particular, i tried to implement Lazy.hGetLines as 'hGetContents >>= lines'
but it was impossible because 'lines' function is defined only in
Lazy.Char8 module

i send you a bunch of small patches that fixes I/O part of library,
providing the same set of operations for lazy and strict bytestrings,
for ghc and non-ghc platforms

also, i run into small problems using FPS repository to development
(seems that i'm first windows developer of the lib). First, i propose
to change darcs 'prefs' file to the following:

test cd tests && make fast

- it should work both on unix and windows

second, i've changed 'time' calls in tests/Makefile to use my own 't'
utility instead of 'time'. but of course it's not universal solution.
at least, 'time' in windows shell (cmd.exe) is _built-in_ utility that
don't have anything common with unix 'time' :)

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com