Why is there no splitBy in the list module?

Christian Maeder maeder at tzi.de
Tue Jul 18 08:24:20 EDT 2006

Malcolm Wallace schrieb:
> I think the general objection to the "With" suffix is that it is
> non-standard naming.  All the Haskell'98 libraries use "By" for this
> kind of meaning.

Looking at Data.List there is not a single function with suffix "By"
that takes a predicate argument (filter, dropWhile, etc.).

All "...By" function (nubBy, ..., minimumBy) take binary comparison
arguments.

> Data.PackedString is non-standard, and should not
> be relied upon as an accurate stylistic guide.

I consider it to be standard (currently) since it is in package base.

However, I've no problem if "With" is replaces with "By" in my proposal
(and also in Data.PackedString)

Christian