Edison 1.2rc2

Robert Dockins robdockins at fastmail.fm
Fri Mar 3 10:58:31 EST 2006

Greetings!

The second release candidate for Edison 1.2 is now ready for
comments.  The notable changes from RC1 are:

   * add strict variants of all folds and reduces
   * reverse argument orders to 'rcons' and 'lookup*' in
     Sequence
   * Add symbolic operators for lcons, rcons, append, and lookup
     from the Sequence API
   * Add symbolic operators for subsetEq, difference, intersection
     and union from the set API
   * rename 'single' to 'singleton' in all APIs
   * rename 'intersect' to 'intersection' in Collection and
     Associated Collection APIs
   * add 'adjustOrInsert' to the Associated Collection API
      (see http://www.haskell.org//pipermail/libraries/2006-February/
004952.html for a use case)

And the following are the remaining major issues I'd like to get
feedback about:

-- Edison defines 'subset' and 'subsetEq' in the set API.  Data.Set
has operations with the
    same meanings named 'isProperSubsetOf' and 'isSubsetOf'.  I am
considering adoping the
    Data.Set names, but they are quite a bit longer.  Also what about
the meaning of "subset"
    vs "proper subset"?  What do you find most intuitive?
-- Data.Map defines 'isSubmapOfBy' and 'isProperSubmapBy'.  Edison
has no corresponding
    API methods.  Are they important enough to add?
-- What do you think about the symbolic operators?  Is the fact that
(++) clashes with the Prelude a problem?
    Should the operators be folded into the "Data.Edison" module
instead?
     (see http://www.eecs.tufts.edu/~rdocki01/docs/edison/Data-Edison-
Sym.html)

In addition, I'm interested in any API related feedback you might have.

Code and docs can be found at the project website:
http://www.eecs.tufts.edu/~rdocki01/edison.html

Or you can go directly to the haddock docs:
http://www.eecs.tufts.edu/~rdocki01/docs/edison/index.html

Or the darcs repo:
http://www.eecs.tufts.edu/~rdocki01/edison/

Thanks,