Text.ParserCombinators.* is a bad name

Ketil Malde ketil+haskell at ii.uib.no
Wed Mar 8 03:05:53 EST 2006

dons at cse.unsw.edu.au (Donald Bruce Stewart) writes:

> * Firstly, a library naming issue. Text.ParserCombinators feels like a
> clunkey name.

Amen.  I've never understood why there is a need for a deep, sparse
hierarchy.  You're practically never going to navigate for a library
anyway, and even if you were, a deep hierarchy will unavoidably have
ambiguities.  (Of course, in this case, the obvious "Text.Regex" is
already taken)

> namespace should be deprecated in favour of:
>
>     Text.Combinators.ReadP
>     Text.Combinators.Parsec
>     Text.Combinators.HughesPJ

My preference is to name modules after their purpose or application
area ("Text") rather than after their implementation technique
("Combinators").

-k