portability of Data.ByteString.Lazy

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Thu Nov 2 06:51:48 EST 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-02 at 10:37 +0000, Ross Paterson wrote:
> Data.ByteString.Lazy defines ByteString as a type synonym, and then
> uses that in instances, which isn't permitted by Haskell 98.  How about
> defining a newtype ByteString in Data.ByteString.Lazy.Base instead?

It is defined as a newtype in Data.ByteString.Lazy.Base. But that module
also defines the strict variant, so within the same module they needed
different names. So we could just use the original name in the instance
declarations.

that is, .Base has:

data ByteString = ...
newtype LazyByteString = LPS [ByteString]

and .Lazy has:

type ByteString = Base.LazyByteString

So in .Lazy we can just use

instance Eq Base.LazyByteString where

Or we could use a separate .Lazy.Base module for exposing the lower
level internals of the lazy version and then not use a type alias at
all.

Duncan