proposal: add 'unsafeCoerce'

Cale Gibbard cgibbard at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 05:21:57 EST 2006

I'd actually like to have an -unsafe flag which one would have to use
in order to compile a module using functions/values marked as unsafe.
Unsafety would be inherited by default, and using a compiler pragma
would avoid this inheritance (but the module would still need to be
compiled with -unsafe, just not its children.)

I tend to think of the unsafe functions as hooks into the
compiler/runtime to be used for modifying the language, not really as
part of the language itself.

Thanks,
 - Cale