[Haskell] base libraries

Sven Panne sven.panne at aedion.de
Fri Nov 24 04:24:34 EST 2006

Am Freitag, 24. November 2006 10:06 schrieb Ketil Malde:
> [...]
> This is not to say that the cathedral model is necessarily a bad one,
> but it seems a shame that
> with tools that seem so ideal for bazaar-style development, users are
> reduced from participants to consumers.

Even if my last emails on this list might give a different impression, I
really like bazaar-style development. But currently all the necessary tools
(cabal-get etc.)  and APIs (e.g. stuff needed in the Setup.hs for Cabal) are
far from being stable and widespread (Does your latest and greatest openSUSE
DVD or Ubuntu download have all this? And if yes, which API version? Does
your Setup.hs still work?). This is no criticism of the projects, quite the
opposite, it is just the current state of affairs. I fear that if we move
from the cathedral to the bazaar too fast without having the necessary
infrastructure already on everybody's hard disk, we will hurt Haskell
development more than we help it.

Cheers,
   S.