[Haskell] base libraries

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Fri Nov 24 06:09:05 EST 2006

Duncan Coutts wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-11-23 at 19:15 +0100, Benjamin Franksen wrote:

>>What I am arguing for (and Bulat, if I understand him correctly) is
>>that it's ok if building the _compiler itself_ (or profiler or
>>whatever else (apart from some exceptions like cabal) is shipped with
>>the compiler) needs libraries from outside the core library set.
>

> Yes. I agree.
>
> Since GHC is currently statically linked, the set of libs that are
> required to build GHC need not be related to the set of libs that come
> with GHC by default.

Just one comment here: the set of packages required to build GHC is actually
very small: just unix (if  you're on Unix) and regex-compat.  The set of
packages required to build a stage 2 GHC is larger, but we include all those in
the source tree.

Yes there's no reason that we actually have to *install* these packages too, but
it seems silly not to, since we just built them.  It would be more trouble to
arrange that we didn't install them, I guess.

Cheers,
	Simon