[Haskell] base libraries

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Fri Nov 24 06:35:19 EST 2006

Hello Simon,

>> Since GHC is currently statically linked, the set of libs that are
>> required to build GHC need not be related to the set of libs that come
>> with GHC by default.

> Yes there's no reason that we actually have to *install* these packages too, but
> it seems silly not to, since we just built them.  It would be more trouble to
> arrange that we didn't install them, I guess.

for me the problem is not that you include these packages - i like
them all (except for ghc-library). the problem is that you don;t want
to make guarantees that anything else will be available with *every*
haskell installation. i think that set of base libraries should be
redesigned to include all the widely used functionality. this includes
FPS, although it's not used for build GHC. this includes Time package.
this includes NewBinary. i.e. we should provide really rich set of
libs to every haskell user. and when Neil, for example, arote a great
lib which he thinks should be available to every haskell user, he
should not propose to include it in Base, he should propose to include
it in this base libs set

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com