[Haskell] Re[2]: base libraries

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Fri Nov 24 11:46:48 EST 2006

Hello Ross,

>> Portability: these libs should work on windows and major unix
>> branches, on ghc/hugs/nhc and other proposal-compliant compilers,

> Your portability criterion would rule out fgl, mtl, regex-*, Edison,
> NewBinary, arrows and monads.

you forget to mention Base :)  lack of MPTC in nhc/yhc/jhc is a
serious problem for libraries portability. what we can do in this part
of proposal?

i think that we should require H' compatibility instead of H98 one, so
require to not use fundeps, but allow MPTC. this means that NHC should
be ruled out as non-H' compliant compiler instead of these libs

nhc/yhc/jhc can support some of these libs and i expect that these
compilers will try its best, but in general lack of compatibility with
NHC due to lack of some H' features in this compiler shouldn't prevent
us from inclusion library in this set. but when other problems
arrives, this may be a stop-mark, because these problems will not be
fixed in future NHC versions

how about this? of course, i mean current draft of H' - some things
may change in final Report

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com