[Haskell] base libraries

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Sun Nov 26 05:19:24 EST 2006

Hello Ian,

>> >Since GHC is currently statically linked, the set of libs that are
>> >required to build GHC need not be related to the set of libs that come
>> >with GHC by default.

> Also, once we have dynamic libraries working we'll have to go back to
> installing them again (or jump through some hoops), so it seems
> shortsighted to go this route.

i think about standardization (i.e. inclusion in set of Core libs) of
library as 4-step process:

* library author propose to do it
* user wants this library
* compiler developers and porters agree to support it
* deal!

in general, users want to include as much libs as possible while
developers/porters want to have to support as few libs as possible. so
main problem is balance between these two requirements

if developers want to include more - as in this case - it is no
problem at all (with exception of large libs that will significantly
increase size of downloading/installation)

so, i don't see any reason to discontinue including in GHC bundles
these small libs which you support anyway. my request was about
inclusion in this set additional libs, which is not required to
compile ghc but nevertheless widely used and should be easily
available, say, for windows users

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com