4th Cabal-1.1.6 release candiate

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Mon Oct 9 15:57:00 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-09 at 20:34 +0100, Malcolm Wallace wrote:

> > > You could try using the --unlit option of cpphs,
> >
> > I think the Distribution.PreProcess.Unlit module was taken from an early
> > version of cpphs.
>
> Probably it came from hmake, whose version of Unlit strips leading
> whitespace for the purpose of recognising import statements (to make
> them begin at column 0).  Better to steal the version from nhc98 or
> cpphs, which does not strip whitespace.

Right.

> > One possibility would be to update to the latest cpphs
> > unlit code, but for that of course we'd need your permission as the
> > copyright licenses are different.
>
> The unlit code in cpphs was largely taken from an early version of the
> Haskell Report.

Does that mean you do give us permission, or that you think we don't
need your permission? I just want it to be clear, because cpphs is
mostly LGPL and Cabal is BSD3.

> > Is there anyway to identify the cpphs version from running it? I don't
> > see any --version flag or similar.
>
> cpphs --version exists, and is documented.

Oh yes, you're quite right. Sorry I must have mis-typed (and cpphs
--help doesn't mention it - not that it should necessarily).

To be honest I think it'd be easier at the moment to update the unlit
code rather than using cpphs --unlit because detecting that we actually
need cpphs isn't done 'til rather late, so I'm not sure if we stick a
version check in up front that we wouldn't end up unnecessarily failing
in the configure step. Isaac knows this bit of the code much better than
I do.

Duncan