darcs patch: Add UTF8 converting and outputing functions

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Thu Oct 19 08:35:00 EDT 2006

Jun Mukai <mukai at jmuk.org> wrote:

> > Why is all this GHC-only?
>
> I agree with you.  There are no needs to be GHC-only.
>
> However, my code imports GHC.List and GHC.Word (not Data.List and
> Data.Word because they import Data.Char).  These requirements are
> implementation dependent.

But what do you use from GHC.List and GHC.Word that are not available in
Data.List or Data.Word?  At a glance, I could not see anything special.

> And also, the problem of UTF-8 encoding is currently GHC specific,

Not entirely.  Other compilers may or may not yet read source files in a
specific encoding, but the general haskell programmer is certainly going
to want to do so, for arbitrary text.

Regards,
    Malcolm