Data.List.join

Josef Svenningsson josef.svenningsson at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 10:02:20 EDT 2006

On 10/22/06, Donald Bruce Stewart <dons at cse.unsw.edu.au> wrote:
> Let's get join and split done!
>
> I want to see this function done this time. So let's try hard not to
> restart the big threads we've had on this topic in the last couple of
> years. So I'll just point to the archives.
>     http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.glasgow.user/10136/focus=13631
>
> Getting bogged down in fiddly details will just derail this effort. See
> here. Perfectionists will not be tolerated! ;)
>     http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Protect_the_community

Well spoken.

> Now, in summary, Josef:
>     * Send a patch to libraries@, for a minimal implementation of the join function
>     * And a patch for QuickCheck properites, to live under testsuite/tests/*.
>         - e.g. for split . join == id
>                    words        == join " "

Patches attached.

I've also included a couple of properties that don't hold but which
one might think hold. I'm not sure how useful it is to have that in
the testsuite but I wanted to document them somewhere anyway.

> Now, the name, join conflicts, so:
>     * consperse
>     * connect
>     * intercat
>     * the problem with joinWith (or whatever) is that traditionally it would be joinBy
>
> So, I propose we start with just, say, 'connect', with some QC
> properties, and get that into base, before we get dragged out into a big
> discussion about the entire api design.

I think Jón's suggestion 'intercalate' was pretty sweet. I've chosen
to use that name in my patch.

Josef