Where is Distribution.Compat.FilePath in Cabal-1.1.6?

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Tue Oct 24 08:08:32 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-24 at 10:07 +0100, Bayley, Alistair wrote:
> It appears that in Cabal-1.1.6, Distribution.Compat.FilePath is hidden
> (I don't have it installed, just a complaint from a user trying to
> install Takusen with ghc-6.6). I had a look around and found this
> message:
>

> http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/cabal-devel/2006-September/000165.html
>
> which says to me that it ought to be exposed.
>
> What's happened here? Has it moved somewhere else, or is it
> unintentionally hidden?

It was the intention to leave it exposed for the time being. Indeed if
you build Cabal with Cabal then it is. However, the ghc build system for
packages doesn't currently use Cabal and the .cabal and Makefiles were
not kept in sync properly (which was probably my fault) so the result is
that whether the module is exposed or not depends on if you use the one
built with the ghc build system, or built separately with Cabal.

One solution is to recommend to your users that they upgrade to
Cabal-1.1.6.1. This will be built using Cabal itself and so it'll be ok.
It also fixes a couple minor bugs.

Or use the proper FilePath module/package. Really, the only valid excuse
for using what ought to be a hidden module is if it's used in a Setup.hs
script since they are not allowed to have external package deps.

Duncan