[Haskell-cafe] Guidelines for proposing library changes

Ross Paterson ross at soi.city.ac.uk
Wed Oct 25 08:26:44 EDT 2006

On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 11:58:59AM +1000, Donald Bruce Stewart wrote:
> After some discussion on the libraries list, I've put up the suggested
> 'best practice' for proposing library changes, here:
>
>     http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Library_submissions

If one is supposed to submit a proposal using darcs send, it's not
clear how to include the tests.  Ideally the tests would be in the
library package repository rather than the separate testsuite.

Does the link to the GHC submission guidelines add anything relevant
apart from the advice to use "darcs send"?

I see you've deleted the bit about silence being taken as consent.
I think we need something like this, or at least a presumption that the
change will happen unless someone objects, to encourage a discussion, and
to help focus the discussion.  With all those submission requirements,
proposals will be few and concrete, so it doesn't seem too much to ask.
Often a proposal is greeted with silence (or just comments about naming).