[Haskell-cafe] Guidelines for proposing library changes

Ross Paterson ross at soi.city.ac.uk
Thu Oct 26 05:03:22 EDT 2006

On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 01:26:44PM +0100, Ross Paterson wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 11:58:59AM +1000, Donald Bruce Stewart wrote:
> > After some discussion on the libraries list, I've put up the suggested
> > 'best practice' for proposing library changes, here:
> >
> >     http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Library_submissions
>
> I see you've deleted the bit about silence being taken as consent.
> I think we need something like this, or at least a presumption that the
> change will happen unless someone objects, to encourage a discussion, and
> to help focus the discussion.

Actually, I think this is essential to improving the process.  As it is,
that page lists lots of extra work for the proposer, but gives nothing
in return.  After they do all that work, they're in the same situation
they are now: if the proposal doesn't get a chorus of approval, it's left
in limbo, with no indication of why.  If we really do want to encourage
submissions, we need balancing obligations on reviewers, and this is
the simplest, most flexible way to achieve them.