[Haskell] Re: ANNOUNCE: Codec.Compression.GZip & .BZip

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Thu Sep 21 06:46:36 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-21 at 14:20 +0400, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
> Hello Duncan,
>
> Thursday, September 21, 2006, 12:11:28 PM, you wrote:
>
> > I'm pleased to announce two new packages: zlib and bzlib which provide
> > functions for compression and decompression in the gzip and bzip2
> > formats:
>
> that's great! i even think that these libraries should go into ghc's
> extra-libs package
>
> > Both provide pure functions on streams of data represented by lazy
> > ByteStrings:
>
> > compress, decompress :: ByteString -> ByteString
>
> i'd plans to add compression support to my Streams library and your
> work will definitely make simpler my own
>
> about API - while it's great for simple usage, it's not enough
> universal. i think that the most universal one is using callbacks to
> read and write memory buffers, as implemented in my own compression
> library: http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Library/Compression

Is the code available? I don't see any link to it.

Can you think of any examples where one covers more cases than the
other? Both can handle the in memory or disk/network cases. Both provide
the full range of compression algorithm tuning parameters.

>From what it looks like from the examples on that page, you always have
to work in the IO monad, so it's less 'universal' in that sense. Can you
(de)compress lazily with your system?

Duncan