Location of inlinePerformIO

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Sun Apr 22 23:43:53 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-23 at 03:57 +0100, Neil Mitchell wrote:
> I was looking for the function inlinePerformIO, and was quite shocked
> when I found it in the module "Data.ByteString.Base".

Or we could stop exporting the internal bytestring APIs at all.

> This is clearly entirely the wrong place for it to go, so could we get
> it moved before it has to remain in this totally non-logical place
> forever?

If you want to propose that it become a standard function rather than an
internal artifact of the bytestring lib then please do so. You might
want to see if people agree on the name. At the same time there's the
issue of locked vs. unlocked unsafePerformIO. Probably the best place
for all three is the same module where unsafePerformIO currently lives,
System.IO.Unsafe.

Duncan