Cabal, System.Filepath

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Thu Dec 6 06:56:41 EST 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 17:35 +0700, Peter Gammie wrote:
> To my surprise, if you type ^C at the right moment you can trash GHC's
> (system-wide) package list. I figured it was easier to reinstall than
> fix, but forgot Debian installs GHC 6.6 if I don't ask for "unstable".
> So, let's get Cabal on its feet again:

Debian actually installs a backup of the global package.conf file. It's
called package.conf.shipped or something like that.

> $ ghc --version
> The Glorious Glasgow Haskell Compilation System, version 6.6
>
> $ darcs pull
> Pulling from "http://darcs.haskell.org/cabal"...
> No remote changes to pull in!
>
> $ ghc -i. --make Setup.lhs -o setup
>
> Distribution/Simple.hs:114:7:
>      Could not find module `System.FilePath':
>        Use -v to see a list of the files searched for.
>
> Can I humbly suggest that Cabal rely on very few external libraries?

We recently defined filepath to be a core library. As you point out
however this does pose a problem for older compilers. Fortunately it's
not that bad, you can build and install filepath using the older cabal
that comes with your older compiler. If that's not possible for whatever
reason you can download both Cabal and filepath and:

ghc -i../filepath --make Setup.lhs -o setup

Duncan