filepath

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Sun Dec 9 14:24:43 EST 2007

On Sun, 9 Dec 2007, Johannes Waldmann wrote:

> Ian Lynagh wrote:
>
> > I'm having some problems using filepath in GHC. [...]
>
> I'm sure this has been said before: using the type string
> to avoid an ADT is generally a bad idea.
> (it's the "primitive obsession" code smell.)

I want to second this, since e.g. the current directory is not in all OSs
denoted by '.'. E.g. in good old AmigaOS (where sadly I don't know a
Haskell implementation for, yet) the current directory is represented by
the empty string. It seems to me that denoting the current directory by
"." is rather Windows/Unix-centric.