[Haskell] Haskell Xlib bindings

Sven Panne sven.panne at aedion.de
Tue Feb 13 11:20:29 EST 2007

On Tuesday 13 February 2007 14:15, Simon Marlow wrote:
> This all seems reasonable if the goal is to provide an XCB layer in
> Haskell. But I have to ask the question: why?  The only user of the X11 lib
> is HGL, and that's been ported to GtkHs now (ISTR), so who are the clients
> for an XCB layer? [...]

The conclusion of the above reasoning would be "rm -rf libraries/X11", but I
wouldn't go that far... ;-) And similar arguments could be made for Win32.
Anyway, I think there are a few reasons why something like XHB could make
sense:

   * Fewer dependencies (no Xlib needed)

   * Automatic generation of almost all parts, leading to a very consistent
API

   * Availability of dozens of protocol extensions for X11 for free, the X11
package has only the bare bones X11

   * The possibility to use XHB in a multi-threaded setting (Xlib has only
very arcane support for this, so everything is basically single-threaded)

   * Although Xlib will definitely stay with us for a long, long time, it
seems to be a bit "deprecated".

   * The current X11 package needs a serious code review to fix the types.

Apart from that, there are a few personal interests:

   * Improve my rusty XSLT skills

   * Test the available XML tools in/for Haskell

   * Get some ideas for a better networking package. BTW: What is the status
of this? Is anybody already working on this? The current package has no clean
layering, lacks most modern networking features, does a few things "behind
the back" (which is often not what one wants), etc. Although I do not have
enough time to push this actively, I would be very interested in joining such
a "Let's build a better network package" task force...

Cheers,
   S.