Supported Windows versions (was: Re: unix package)

Esa Ilari Vuokko eivuokko at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 16:25:33 EDT 2007

Thanks for answers Neil and Bulat!

It seems that there's still users for Win 9x, as both answers had
something to say about end-users in Win 9x.  Maybe breaking
Win 9x compatibility on purpose isn't sensible yet.

I couldn't get any answers in irc, either.  I recall Windows users
were had lots of opinions in ghc poll few years back, but we are
pretty quiet on these lists.

On 7/1/07, Bulat Ziganshin <bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com> wrote:
> i write a general-purpose program (archiver) and will prefer to have
> it win9x-compatible. btw, this doesn't have any relation to the fact
> that ghc itself can be run on old OSes

I realize that.  Do you care about Win32 package or only about ghc
rts and base?  Could you find some resources to test on Win 9x?

What do you think would be workable solution for Win32 package?
I can think of few solutions
 * use old versions of Win32 package if you need Win9x compatibility
   (doesn't need extra work.)
 * Add new package with Win 2k APIs (but that's really annoying
because of overlap)
 * Use CPP to make it possible to compile Win9x-compatible Win32 (need testers!)

Any other ideas?

Best regards,
Esa