Why is System.Posix.Error in unix?

Aaron Denney wnoise at ofb.net
Fri Jul 20 13:20:36 EDT 2007

On 2007-07-19, Ian Lynagh <igloo at earth.li> wrote:
> I get the feeling I must be missing something, but why is
> System.Posix.Error in the unix package? It looks to me like it just
> calls things in the base package, and it works on Windows as far as I
> can see:

AIUI:

Because it's about the Posix "errno" interface, and nobody uses the
posix subsystem of windows because it doesn't interact well with the GUI
subsystem?

I.e. it's a unix interface.  Yes C proper defines some error numbers,
but that's because C and Unix evolved together.  The ones defined in the
C standard (as well as posix)

EDOM -- argument out of domain for math function
EILSEQ -- illegal byte sequence
ERANGE -- "result too large"

are all results from essentially pure library functions, and shouldn't
need to throw IO errors.

--
Aaron Denney
-><-