Is Read / Show for serialization or pretty printing?

Shae Matijs Erisson shae at ScannedInAvian.com
Sat Mar 3 14:21:32 EST 2007

HAppS development during the ghc6.4 era required Read/Show for serialization,
and binary serialization isn't yet popular for HAppS.

Because of that, SURI.hs (Show URI) was added to HAppS to wrap Network.URI.

I vaguely recall that Network.URI's Show instance was rewritten for GHC 6.6,
but the current instance is more for pretty-printing than serialization.

To make a long story short, Network.URI does not use derived Read and Show
instances, and that causes problems when trying to get invertible
serialization.

The fix in our opinion is to switch to derived Read and Show instances for
Network.URI.

Shae & Lemmih
--
I've tried to teach people autodidactism,                | ScannedInAvian.com
but it seems they always have to learn it for themselves.| Shae Matijs Erisson