ANN: HSH 1.2.0

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 08:27:53 EST 2007

Neil Mitchell wrote:
> Hi
>
>> There are a couple of things about that function...
>>
>> First, I did see it, but its description is rather vague on what it
>> does.  From the description, it sounds like it is possible that it
>> would not return an absolute path; I read it more as expanding
>> symlinks.  If it does indeed return an absolute path, I think that
>> should be stated explicitly for clarity.
>
> More fatally it's only implemented on GHC, not for any reason, but
> because whoever originally implemented it only used GHC! It's
> explicitly #ifdef'd to do nothing (just a return) on other compilers.
> I also hate the name. I know plenty of people who wanted the function,
> but none who ever found it...

I note that the deadline for discussion of System.FilePath has now passed (well,
a long time ago :-), so it looks like it's going into base.  Any final
objections before we do this?

Regarding canonicalizePath, I'd be perfectly happy to change its name and/or
somehow make it more easily discoverable: does anyone want to make a proposal?

Cheers,
	Simon