System.FilePath Re[2]: ANN: HSH 1.2.0

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Tue Mar 13 21:22:35 EDT 2007

On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 01:06:10AM +0000, Neil Mitchell wrote:

> >"runhaskell", "ghc --make" and hugs would all work.
> >
> >"ghc -package base -package Cabal" wouldn't, but I doubt that will trip
> >anyone up given it won't be in any docs (and so anyone it does trip up
> >probably knows how to fix it anyway).
>
> Cabal users will have to explicitly depend on FilePath though, i.e.

No they won't: If Setup.hs builds then it's installed, and besides, we
don't need it any more if we've already built Setup. So there's no point
in Setup.hs checking it's installed (which is the effect of adding a dep
in the .cabal file, which I assume is what you meant).

> >> i.e. on parity with the base libraries. Does such a place/package exist?
> >
> >You just have to convince each implementation separately to ship with
> >it.
>
> But if its a case of each implementation defining their own policy,
> then suddenly you can't use it in Cabal Setup.hs files.

Can you please point me at the shared policy that means that base and
Cabal are always available? I'm sure we could add filepath to it.

Thanks
Ian