Adding System.FilePath

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Tue Mar 20 20:42:34 EDT 2007

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 04:24:21PM +0000, Malcolm Wallace wrote:
> "Neil Mitchell" <ndmitchell at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > So can I suggest that the people objecting to inclusion in base:
> >
> > 1) Write the code that adds filepath as a core library, update build
> > scripts for nhc/ghc/hugs, talk to everyone and gather agreement to
> > include the filepath library always,
>
> OK, I have added the filepath package to the default builds of nhc98,
> and agree to distribute it in all future versions of the compiler.

I'm happy to do the work for adding it to GHC, but I'll need to talk to
SimonM when he returns about the details first: It would make sense to
either do the switch to building with cabal in 6.8 first (thus avoiding
needing to add it the Makefile way), or to do it the Makefile way and
also put it into 6.6.1 (which obviously has the advantage that it's
available RSN by default with GHC; I don't think there's an interface
issue here as it's a separate package, but I'd like to get Simon's input
first!).

If it's a sticking point then I'm sure I can work out how to get hugs to
include it too, assuming Ross doesn't object.

One thing: It would make things a lot simpler if filepath was moved to
(or kept in sync with) http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/filepath/
(I know we could change darcs-all to take an optional repo URL, but it's
messier when we want to fork the libraries into a ghc-6.8/
subdirectory).

Thanks
Ian