[Haskell] Re: Trying to install binary-0.4

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Sat Oct 27 08:07:44 EDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-10-27 at 01:14 +0100, Claus Reinke wrote:
> > Duncan and I have started a wiki page to collect proposals for ways to avoid or alleviate the pain
> > from future package reorganisations.
> >
> > http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/PackageCompatibility
>
> i've filled in the section on provides/requires with
> what i remember from our discussion.

Thanks.

I quite like the idea of inferring in much more detail what a package
actually needs from its imports. Having Cabal do the module dependency
analysis will make this a bit easier, but doing it at a finer
granularity than the module list will require more complicated language
processing. I suppose there is the question of how much should be in the
language (like ML functors) and how much in the packaging system.

Duncan